(Collected and compiled by TriadeBuilders, Kottayam)
St. Mary's Forane
Altar of Valiya Pally
The Three Big Bells
Festival (Athirampuzha Thirunnal)
Charis Bhavan Retreat Centre
Christ The King Church, Ettumanoor
Mary's Church, Kudamaloor
The Mahadeva Temple, Ettumanoor
Ettumanoor Shri Agnibhairav Nagayakshi Devasthanam
Kumaranalloor Bhagavathy Temple
Kudamaloor Vasudevapuram Temple
Ettumanoor CVN Kalari Marma-Panchakarma Research
Tourism Potential of the
Neighboring Mannanam, Kottayam
Athirampuzha town is situated 10 km north of Kottayam
town located very close to Ettumanoor. It is one of the oldest trading centers in Central Kerala. The place is believed to have trade
relations with Middle East from centuries ago.
Athirampuzha St Mary's Church is
the major point of attraction. The grand feast, Athirampuzha Nercha, celebrated here attracts thousands of devotees. The
famous Ettumanoor Mahadeva Temple and Ettumanoor Sree Agnibhairav Nagayakshi Devasthanam are easily accessible
It is believed that Athirampuzha was a well-established
developed village and settlements were there even at BC 1200. The famous
traveler Marco Polo's travel descriptions, "The description of the
world", have some references about Athirampuzha. While he was traveling
through Kerala he reached a port town called 'Athiramkari'.
The description of this place closely matches to Athirampuzha. According to
Marco Polo Athiramkari was a trade center famous for
Pottery, Cattle’s, vegetable market (still exists) and clothes.
University is located in Athirampuzha, so as St Aloysius High School, St
Mary's Boys High School, St
Mary's Girls High School, St. Sebastian Institute of information science
and technology etc.
K.E. College Mannanam, B.K. College
Amalagiri, Ettumanoor I.T.I.,
St. Ephraim’s School Mannanam, K.E. School Mannanam,
St.Gregorious U.P.School Mannarkunnu etc. are located in Athirampuzha Panchayat.
is only two Kilometers from Athirampuzha. Ettumanoor
Rail way Station and Ettumanoor Industrial Estate
(the only industrial
estate in Kerala under the Ministry of Labor, Govt. of India) is
really located in Athirampuzha.
is an ancient trade center. It had both water transport and road transport
facilities and this helped it become a much-frequented marketplace. The Market
was established in1042 AD during the reign of Ayillum
Thirunal Maharaja . From
various parts of the coastal plains, a labyrinth of canals that branched out
like the centre nervous system of the vast paddy fields, widened to a large
rectangular pool known as 'Chantha
Kulam’ in Athirampuzha which was the center of trade where boats could
dock. It docked about
40 to 50 country carrier boats in motion. Around this lively water-body and
beyond, the market in Athirampuzha teemed with men in motion, buying, selling,
transporting or merely jostling in the crowd.
the main market days in Athirampuzha. In the early hours of the morning, the
bells of bullock carts woke people in the area up and the sea of activities
will occur on otherwise peaceful road. Never ending chains of
bullock carts moved along, in a slow jerky motion, laden with vegetables,
spices, fish, coir or rice. The beasts wearily stamped their worn-out
shoes on the black surface and created painful patterns, while cart-men lashed
their merciless whips and pushed them forward. Men pulled handcarts faster than
animals, with huge piles of banana bunches on them, as streams of sweat ran
profusely from their bare necks and muscles and disappeared into the tightly
wrapped dhotis. Groups of men and women walked happily home with provisions,
balanced in cane baskets, for their homes. (Thanks
to blogger George Andrews for this paragraph)
remained as a famous port town till mid 1900s. Later more roads where developed
which reduced the importance of backwater trade routs. The old boat shed
(renovated later) still exists near the Chantha Kulam. Sāyujya is situated less then 500 meters from
St. Mary's Forane Church, Athirampuzha
Church also known as valiya paLLy is situated in the
heart of Athirampuzha. It is an ancient church under Archdiocese of Changanacherry. The Church was consecrated on 15th
August in 835 A.D. on a land donated by the Brahmin family of ettaNassEri as thanksgiving for a male heir born to the
family by praying to Virgin Mary. There ancient stones with engravings and Thaliyollas in 'Nanam Moonam' (language prior to Malayalam) alphabet kept in
the church states that the church was renovated in 1680 A.D.
present church, a beautiful and grand structure, was constructed during the
reign of Fr. Joseph Ithiparambil .The renovation
began in 1962 and was consecrated by Mar Mathew Kavukattu,
the Archbishop of Changanachery on 1966. The
church brilliantly shows off western architecture and is 180 feet tall and
55 feet wide and the bell tower measures a height of 85 feet. The three
bells hanging here were brought from Germany in the year 1905. The big
cross in front of Valiya pally
was built from a mono block of stone. The present presbytery is
magnificent, spacious and grand in appearance.
the church is dedicated to Mother Mary, the fame of the church is
associated with the annual feast celebrated in honor of St. Sebastian in
the month of January lasts for 8 days from 19th to 26th with great pomp and
splendor as people from all walks of life, religion, cast and creed pour
into the church to offer their love and prayer to the saint and seek
blessings from him. The feast, known as 'Athirampuzha Nercha'
attracts a large crowd.
It is believed that the statue of St.Sebastian
at Athirampuzha church was brought along with the
statue of Arthunkal veLuTHaCHan
and Kanjoor church by the Portuguese navigator Leonar Gonsalves D'cruz from Portugal in 1687. The
above-mentioned churches bought the bigger statues and the third statue
remained unclaimed due to its small stature. The Athirampuzha church bought
the small statue. This is renowned as 'Adiyelpicha Roopam' featuring St. Sebastian having been through the
flagellation by the persecutors. The statue of St.
Sebastian in Athirampuzha is unique as it is the only statue of the Saint
without any wounds and is very attractive.
Altar of Valiya pally
The Three big bells
Peediakal Mathew Ouseph
Malpanachan was the Vicar of the church
continuously for 24 years from 1873 to 1897 and was behind the construction
of the Altar and the 'Roopakkoodu', that are
unique and extremely beautiful. The extraordinary filigree work on the
rusty fold altar in Portuguese style with engraved wood is truly an
exceptional example of artistic talents and imagination.
(Altar) depicts the Crowning of the Blessed Virgin Mary as the queen of
heaven, the Holy trinity and the trumpeting Angels.
three big bells hung in the tower
were brought in the year 1905 for Rs 2000/-
during the stewardship of Rev.Fr. Horappasius Moopachan. The
names carved on the bells are in honor of St. Mary, St. Michael and St.
Sebastian. These are renowned for its resonant chiming. The bell tower
measures a height of 85 feet.
Cheriya pally (The little/small church)
The present 'Cheriya pally' is situated
200 meters away from the Valiya pally in the location where the first church was
established and blessed in A. D 835. It was renovated many times .The
latest renovation of 'Cheriya pally'
was led by Fr. Thomas Olakkapady. It was blessed
by his grace Bishop Kurialacherry Mar Thomas on
January 22nd, 1919 is now known in the name of St.Sebastian.
is built in the gothic style and is known for its architectural splendor.
The church has a very interesting
history. The Brahmin of ettaNassEry Illam, the chieftain of the local kingdom had all the
comforts and fortune of life, but he was very unhappy and distressed since
he was childless. He went on several pilgrimages in vain. Then pEroor thAzhe mAppiLa, a staunch Catholic, and a regular visitor of
the Illam, suggested the Brahmin to pray to the
Blessed Virgin Mary and after much persuasion he agreed to do so. The
Brahmin offered to give land for the construction of a church in the name
of 'Blessed Virgin Mary' if a child is born to him. As a result of the
devotion and prayer the andharjanam (wife of
Brahmin) gave birth to a boy. As offered and as a mark of gratitude, they
gifted land for the construction of the church. They discussed the matter
of the construction with the then famous families like idam,
thadam, thekkEdam, vadakkEdam and maNNArkunn~.
At first a 'kurisuppally' was built under the
authority of the Church at Kuravilangad. The
church was blessed in the year 835 AD, on August 15th on which
day the feast of the assumption of the blessed Mary to heaven is
celebrated. Initially, the priests from Kuravilangad
church came and offered Holy Mass and performed holy rituals. In the course
of time it became an independent church.
The church had witnessed
many historical events. One of them was the All India Eucharistic congress
celebration, the first and the last of its kind in Kerala, a conducted from
8th May 1929 to 15th. In memory of this great event, a big statue of the
sacred heart with the raised hands blessing the parish was erected in 1934
near the grotto in front of the convent donated by Mr. Joseph Kurian Kuttiyil.
Athirampuzha church is
also associated with the activities of Blessed Rev. Fr. Chavara
Kuriakose Elias. At the time of the construction
of the Mannanm C.M.I monastery, Fr. Chavara used to stay in Athirampuzha Church.
The Chruch Festival (Athirampuzha Thirunnal)
As per the record, the
first time the feast of St. Sebastian was celebrated at Athirampuzha church
was in the year 1647. Now, the feast is celebrated from19th to
26th of January every year. Athiarmpuzha
and the surrounding places usually are in an excited festive mood during
these days. Special Holy Mass and Novena for nine days are offered during
the feast. The annual eight-day feast begins with the flag hoisting
ceremony on 19th and attracts a large number of devotees from
all over South India. The dazzling display of fire works in connection with
the festival is a sight to behold. The procession is a spiritual experience
for the devotees. Band set including school-bands, flags, gold-brass-silver
wooden crosses, aalavattom, veNchAmaram,
thAzhika kuda and
beaded ornate umbrellas etc. makes the procession very attractive and
Though the feast of St.
Sebastian is universally celebrated on January 20th, according
to the understanding with the mother church at Kuravilangad
in the year 1728 the same is celebrated at Athirampuzha on January 25th.
On the 20th the
statue of St. Sebastian, which is kept on the Altar of the Valiya pally is taken as part
of the procession to Cheriya pally-St.Sebastian
church. It is kept there till 24th evening.
People believe that the
arrow struck into the body of the saint had miraculous healing power and
power to ward off evil spirit. To commemorate this, 'kazhunnu'
(miniature arrows) are the main offerings during the feast. It is said that
once Athirampuzha and suburbs were under serious attack of small pox, the
people collectively prayed through the intercession of St. Sebastian for
the healing of the calamity. As a result of this, the calamity miraculously
subsidized. In commemoration of this, it was decided to have processions
during the festival evenings through the streets of Athirampuzha.
From 19th to 23rd "Kazhunnu"
processions are taken place from different parts of Athirampuzha and nearby
places to the church. A huge crowd of devotees participate in each of these
processions holding "Kazhunnu" in their
palms. The processions begin usually at 4:00.p.m. and reach the church by
8:00 p.m. Cultural programs by various famous troops are performed after
the processions. Votive offerings of gold and silver Kazhunnu
(arrows) set this event apart from other festivals.
On 24th and
25th the splendid processions are being held. Famous Bandsets, Nagaswarams, Chendamelam, Panchavadyam, Theevetty, Venchamaram, Alavattom etc add hue and color to the processions. On
the 24th the first procession start from the Valiya
pally at 5:00 p.m. and goes around the decorated
and illuminated streets of Athirampuzha town reaching the Cheriya pally after about
three hours. Then the second procession from Valiapally
joints the first one and the combined procession circumambulates Cheriapally. The statue of St. Sebastian is taken along
with the procession back to the Valiya pally. The dazzling fireworks that follow are renowned
all over Kerala. The church grounds and the top of the nearby buildings are
crowded with people far and near places. They reach ecstatic heights as the
fireworks go on late into the in the wee hours of the morning.
The prime day of the
festival falls on the 25th. Special Masses and prayers offered
from 6am onwards keep the devotees in a prayerful mood. The great
procession in the afternoon is the central event of the day. It begins from
Valiya pally at 4:00
P.M. and the procession goes around the Cheriya pally and returns to the Valiya
The 26th is the festival day specially meant for the parishners.
Special Masses and prayers are offered on that day too. The festival comes
to a close at 9pm with the statue of St. Sebastian being ceremonially
backed on the Alter of Valiya pally.
Please check out:
click here for more pictures
Contact : St. Mary's
Forane Church, Phone : 0481-2535559, 2530742
The historic journey of Kariattil Ouseph (Joseph) Malpan (Malpan means Professor)
and Paremakkal Thoma Kathanar (Kathanar means priest),
to Rome to
represent the grievances of Kerala Syrian Catholics started from Athirampuzha
boat jetty (chantha kuLam)
in 1778. Athirampuzha Parish rendered great service to make this perilous
The breath taking description
of this historic journey is recorded in 1785 by Paremmakkal
Thoma Kathanar in his
famous book "Varthamana Pusthakam".
It is acclaimed to be the first travelogue among all Indian languages; It is an impressive travelogue of an eight-year journey to Rome and back in order to
gain freedom for Syrian Christians from ‘Latin’ Bishops, written in 562 pages
of lucid prose. Including few western idioms, it also argues strongly for the
independence of Indians from foreign domination. "Varthamana
Pusthakam" was first printed in 1936 at St.Mary's Press Athirampuzha as a
result of the tireless efforts of Plathottathil Mr. Lukka Mathai of Athirampuzha. The
press was founded by Fr. Sebastian Kulamkuthiyil, the
then vicar of the Athirampuzha church, who was also a relative of Mr. Lukka Mathai.
The country-boat by which Mar Kariyattil and Thoma Kathanar traveled from
Athirampuzha to Kayalakulam is kept as a sacred relic
in the house of Mr. C. M. Lukose, Chemmachee
in Neendoor near Athirampuzha. Mr. C.M Lukose is the successor of Poothathil
family. The Knanaya Catholics of Kaipuzha
and Kurumulloor were part of Athirampuzha parish
fraternity till the establishment of Kaipuzha St.
George church in the year 1813.
Charis Bhavan Retreat Centre
Charis Bhavan is a charismatic retreat center situated
in the heart of Athirampuzha. The Centre, took shape in the mind of Fr. James
Manjackal, the founding father, and it took concrete form on November 25, 1989
with the generous donation of land by Fr. Devasia Kuzhupil. The Centre is a haven for all those seeking
God Almighty's presence and is also a channel of peace, joy and love to mankind
irrespective of caste, creed, religion and nationality. Charis Bhavan participates
in various charitable activities such housing, marriage, education and medical
Centre is being guided and marshaled by the congregation of the Missionaries of
St. Francis de Sales (MSFS). The center has been doing commendable work, for
the past on decade, among people of all walks of life, attracting them to a
blissful relationship with God.
Bhavan School of Evangelization (CBSE) is functioning under the authority of
Charis Bhavan. It conducts 30 days residential course in two batches (January
to June and July to December), which offers laity spirituality and
evangelization. Charis Bhavan publishes a monthly journal named Charis Jyothi,
which focuses on Christian renewal and growth in discipleship.
Charis Niketan is a Home for the Senior Citizens and Retired
Missionaries, religious and diocesans, from all over the world and it is an
offshoot of the life and activities of Charis Bhavan. It is situated in the campus of Charis
Christ The King Church,
Catholics in Ettumanoor did not even have a church of their own prior to
1960 and had to go to their parish
Church at Athirampuzha. The Catholics had to first come up with the
land to build the church. In 1959, Mr. C.L Sebastian (Devasiachan)
of Chirayil Family freely offered a plot of land (The Vattathundam
Property) right at the heart of Ettumanoor town
which is worth millions of rupees. The Church was built in around 1960 and was
named “Christ The King Church” and is popularly known
as 'Chirel Palli
The church was under the Athirampuzha Parish and was
subsequently given independent parish status.
It was a custom in vogue that on the
festival of Christ the King, a gorgeous procession was led to Ettumanoor chapel (Kurisupalli)
from the St. Mary’s church in Athirampuzha and the
adjoining churches. It was a very festive occasion, and the S.M.S company spectacularly decorated the ‘Chirakavala’
and the suburbs. Those processions and the beautiful decorations are still
remembered by the older people of Ettumanoor.
St. Mary's Church, Kudamaloor
This church was built by Chempakasseri
Maharajah in AD 1125. It is dedicated to Blessed Virgin Mary and is popularly
known as "mukthiamma" here. It is one of
the ancient churches of the Syro-Malabar Rite and a
famous Marian pilgrim center, is situated 7 kms north
of Kottayam Town. The church is more famous for its
Rites in the Holy Week. People flock in large numbers to participate in the
holy rites and in the special offerings such as neenthu
nErcha, thamukku nErcha, kanji nErcha etc.
The place itself is holy as it is the birthplace of Blessed Sister Alphonsa.
Mannanam, a pilgrim center, where the tomb of Blessed Kuriakose Elias Chavara situates, is also under this
The Mahadeva Temple, Ettumanoor
Mahadeva Temple located at
(fierce) and Vatsalya (love) are the two moods of
the presiding deity, Lord Mahadeva (Lord Siva) at
the Ettumanoor temple. At the entrance of the
temple is a kedavilakku (ever burning lamp)
believed to have been lighted over 450 years back and ever since fed by the
devotees with oil. This Siva temple here is famous for its murals,
especially the paintings of Nataraja in the Gopuram and the golden elephants- EzharaponnAna
( seven large elephants and a small one), are
well known. Though actually eight in number, these are only considered as
seven and a half representing the eight
dik paalakas or
the guardians of the cardinal directions. These were presented to the Lord by
Sri Karthika Thirunal,
Maharaja of Travancore. The Ezharaponnana
Ezhunnallathu festival here is in Kumbhom (Februvary- March). On
the eighth day of the festival, the golden elephants are taken out of the
temple in a procession, which attracts thousands of devotees. The walls of the sanctum is
painted with scenes from the epics along with an imaginative scene of a music
concert by the gods, goddesses and celestials are depicted in this temple.
Mahadeva Temple is located 12 km north of Kottayam. It is an ancient Shiva
temple, which was built in the 16th century. The shrine is constructed in
typical Kerala style of architecture, inlaid with beautiful carvings of scenes
from the Ramayana, Bhagavata and Krishna
Leela.. There are shrines
devoted to Shasta,
Ganapati and Dakshinamurthy in the temple.
One of the
legends associated with the temple is that Khara, a
demon, worshipped Shiva at Chidambaram
and obtained from him three shivlings. He journeyed, holding one shivling in each hand, and one in his mouth. At Vaikom, he set one shivling
on the ground when he halted there, and to his dismay realized that it had got
rooted to the ground. Khara therefore installed the
other two shivlings at Ettumanoor and Kaduthuruthy. The spots at which the three shivlings were installed developed into famous temples
dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is believed that visiting this triad of temples in
a single day is very auspicious.
Ettumanoor Sree Agnibhairav Nagayakshi Devasthanam
Bhagavathy Temple at Kumaranalloor
also known as Arthiyayani
is situated 6 km from Kottayam. The idol of the
Goddess Bhagavathy is in standing position and is
about 3 feet high. The annual thrikArthika festival
is celebrated in the month of vrischikam
(November-December). The major highlight of this nine day long festival is the kArthika viLakk~ (lamp).
temple has been identified by Sree Adi Sankaracharya as one of the
five important centers in India
for Durga ArAdhana. Legend
says that this temple was originally built to house a shrine to Subramanya. The architecture of the temple is notable for
the unique structure of the nalambalam and sreekovil both of which have been built in the sreechakra style (ring like object with a handle, which is
placed in the right hand of the devi).
This kind of architecture is rarely found in temple architecture. It is also
renowned for its gOpurams (the temple towers)
constructed in Tamil Nadu architectural style, the temple structure is round in
shape with attractive mural paintings and wood carvings. Mural paintings in Kumaranalloor temple are precious and rare. The outer walls
of the sreekOvil are decorated with paintings showing
the different styles of gods, goddesses, and incidents from great epics like
Ramayana and Mahabharata.
Kumaranalloor Devi Temple is one of the most important devi
temples among the 108 durgAlayAs (devi temples) in Kerala. This temple attracts devotees
from all over the world keeping its sacredness.
Kudamaloor Vasudevapuram Temple
Temple is an ancient shrine situated at Kudamaloor in Kottayam District. The presiding deity of the temple is Lord Krishna, widely known here as Lord Jagannath. Tradition recounts that this temple was built specially for the
ladies of Kudamaloor Chempakassery
Madom. At present a large number of devotees visit
the temple daily.
Temple , Kudamaloor
Subramanya Swami Temple, Arpookara
Mangattukuzhy Temple, 700 years old ancient temple in Neendoor, Kottayam, Kerala State, India.
The Juma masjid at Thazhathangadi,
on the banks of the Meenachil
River is one of the oldest mosques in India. It is
believed that Malik Dinar had built this mosque about
1000 years ago. It is famous for its richness of architecture, wood carvings
and the beauty. The artistic value of this mosque is of special interest to the
Mahatma Gandhi University is located in Athirampuzha. Mannanam
K.E. College, Amalagiri B.K. College, Ettumanoor I.T.I., St
Alosious High School, St Mary's Boys High School, St
Mary's Girls High School
School Mannanam, K.E. School Mannanam,
St.Gregorious U.P.School Mannarkunnu etc. are located in Athirampuzha Panchayat.
Ettumanoorappan College - Ettumanoorappan College is a self-financing co-educational College
affiliated to Mahatma
Ettumanoor Rail way Station and Industrial
Estate (the only industrial estate in Kerala under the Ministry of
Labor, Govt. of India) is in fact located in
Athirampuzha. Ettumanoor, Kumaranalloor,
Arpookara, Kudamaloor, Mudiyoorkara, Aymanam, Kumarakom, Kaipuzha, Neendoor, Onamthuruth, Kurumulloor, Kanakkary, Pattithanam are the neighbouring
places of Athirampuzha. Kottayam Medical College is
situated very near to Athirampuzha. Athirampuzha is having many post offices
like amalagiri, Priyadarshini
Hills, Sreekandamangalam, Kottackupuram
Ettumanoor CVN Kalari Marma-Panchakarma Research Center
Ettumanoor CVN Kalari Marma-Panchakarma Research
Center imparts professional training in Kalaripayattu and related martial arts. Established in 1970, it is located at Ettumanoor. The center also features yoga and kalari
treatments for rheumatism, paralysis, spinal injuries, vital injuries, joint
dislocations and low-back pain. Apart, the Ettumanoor
CVN Kalari Marma-Panchakarma
Research Centre offers ayurvedic treatments such as
uzhichil, pizhichil, njavarakizhi, dhara, nasyam, herbal steam bath, sirodhara, kalari massage, sukha
thirummu, katcha thirummu and raksha thirummu. Kalaripayattu
demonstration is organized for groups.
Tourism Potential of the Athirampuzha Panchayat
are no tourist centers in the panchayat, but plenty
of opportunities to develop tourism exist. The International Tourism Centre
Kumarakom is near and is connected to Athirampuzha by
the backwaters leading to Pennar thodu.
Pilgrim Centres like the Mannanam Church,
Athirampuzha Church and Vedagiri
temple, and the Mahatma Gandhi University Headquarters attract many people.
can be constructed on the banks of the Pennar thodu to Kumarakom. The canal
which was once used for river transport to Mannanam
ends at the centre of Athirampuzha, and is called Chantha Kulam. Though once
famous trade centres, the banks are now dilapidated.
During the festival season of the Athirampuzha Church, the area is decorated
and the procession starts from there. Chanthakulam
can be easily beautified. Since this water body is in the town, it should be conserved, beautified and connected
to Kumarakom. The backwater traffic is much admired
by foreigners. Rural tourism (with river and backwater tourism!) can therefore
be easily developed in the panchayat
Neighboring Mannanam, Kottayam
Mannanam is a famous Syrian Christian pilgrim center located 8 km north-west of
Kottayam in Kerala. The St Joseph’s
Monastery here, associated with the saintly figure of Fr Kuriakose
Elias of Chavara (1805-71), is
frequented by Christian pilgrims from all over the state.
This little town has many ‘firsts’ to its credit. It is home to the
first indigenous seminary of the Malabar Church (1833), the first catholic
Sanskrit School in Kerala (1846) and the first catholic English School in
Kerala (1874). St Joseph’s Press, the oldest of its kind in Kerala, is also
situated here. Established in 1944, this press was instrumental in bringing
out Nasrani Deepika, one
of Kerala’s oldest newspapers.
Mannanam is situated in the district of Kottayam. This Gramapanchayath
under Athirampuzha Panchayath is surrounded by Ammancherry, Kaipuzha, Arpookkaraand Athirampuzha. M.
G. University is just 1.5 km. from Mannanam. It is
also a pilgrim place, for the founder of CMI congregation, Kuriakose Elias Chavara.
Mannanam is well linked with the other places
with road, water transporting facilities. You can arrive at Mannanam either from Kottayam,
via Medical College or from Ettumannoor, via M. G.
University or from Vaikom via Neendoor,
Kaipuzha. There is a good boat service also from Mannanam, to Alappey. The
famous market of Athirampuzha was reached by thousands of people through the
river that flows through Mannanam.
Education and Institutions
St. Joseph''s LP School, St. Ephrem''s High School, Kuriakose
Elias Eng. Med. School, K. E. College, St. Joseph''s
Teachers Training College, Premiere ITC etc. makes Mannanam
a Village really worthy to be in Kottayam, the
first district in India to achieve complete literacy. There are also Computer
training Centres, Private Colleges, Nursery Schools
and many other institutions at Mannanam. There is
also St. Joseph’s Press, one of the oldest presses in Kerala here. There are
a lot of Book stalls and other printing presses here. St. Ephrems
High School is also one of the oldest Schools in Kerala.
The Kottayam Medical College is just 4 kms from Mannanam. Caritas(Diocese of Kottayam),
one of the leading Hospitals with the new Cancer Care Centre also about 4 kms away. There are also many ayurvedic
There are Two churches here, namely, St. Joseph''s Church (Ashramadevalayam), of the CMI congregation and St. Stephen'’s
Church, of the Diocese of Kottayam. There are two
temples also situated at Mannanam. There lives
people of Christian, Hindu and Islamic faiths
here in peace and love.
Standard of living
Many are of the middle class working people. A number of people abroad also
add to the economy of the village. The presence of the M. G. University, many
schools and colleges and of the medical institutions also offers good
opportunity of work.
January 3, Kuriakose Elias Chavara
May 19, St. Joseph’s Feast
26 December St. Stephen
(St. Stephen’s Church, Mannanam)